Friday 24 February 2012

Discussion: Are there any health reasons preventing us from giving up meat?

When researching for my blog entry 2 nights ago, I came across this article: http://www.earthsave.org/health/bloodtyp.htm

I actually want you to read this before reading my thoughts. You see, I found it when trying to find any scientific evidence that those with blood type O have to eat meat, since I remember reading one such account in a newspaper years ago. While the article doesn't rule out the theory completely that the best diet is one suited to your blood type, it completely strips away the credibility of a published book on the subject. So I'm not so certain that whether a person can or cannot eat meat is that dependent on their blood type.

But the article I linked 2 days ago that talked about the health benefits of red meat did say that a regular meal including red meat is very beneficial for those with some sort of blood anaemia. That I can buy, since such people have a bit of an iron deficiency compared to most. My friend at work also told me today that she actually doesn't like the taste of red meat very much, but has to eat it at least once a week due to her unusually low blood pressure. Without that regular red meat consumption, her energy would be very low.

1 comment:

  1. Just to add a couple of points: Anaemia is caused by low levels of iron. The definition is reduced amounts of haemaglobin, vital for transporting oxygen around the body. To make haemaglobin, we need iron. This is why people with anaemia have low energy, they have less haemaglobin and so can't get the oxygen to the cells that need it. Since women menstruate, they are at particular risk of anaemia. They lose a ton of blood, and iron, every month. This is why doctors tend to recommend that women eat some red meat once a week. Red meat and iron have nothing to do with blood pressure. If someone has unusually low blood pressure then they should try drinking more water. If that doesn't correct the problem then they should see a doctor.

    ReplyDelete