Sunday 19 February 2012

The Rules

1. No meat or seafood whatsoever will be eaten.

2. All regular dairy intake will have to be substituted.

3. Such a diet will be followed for 40 days, beginning on Shrove Tuesday and ending on Palm Sunday.

Explanations:

1. None needed.

2. The thing about milk, eggs and butter is that traces of it are found in many recipes, baking ones in particular. So since I am focussing on cutting out animal products from my regular diet, if I need to use butter in a baking recipe, I will. The most obvious example of regular dairy intake is the milk I pour into my bowl of muesli every morning, I'll need to buy soy milk for the next month-and-a-bit.

3. Bizarrely enough, the 40 days bit stirs up quite a bit of debate. A lot of people think Lent runs right up to Easter Sunday, but if you actually count 40 days on your calendar (and I have), you'll find it finishes on Palm Sunday. I also remember reading last year that Lent does run up to Easter Sunday if you believe that you get a 'day off' Lent every Sunday. Frankly I think that's just rather stupid, it's not like Jesus got a day off wandering the desert.

So there you go, these are my rules and I hope I have made them clear. Questions in the post comments if they're not.

No comments:

Post a Comment