Saturday 3 March 2012

Recipe: Strawberry Turnovers

Unlike my veggie/savoury turnovers, these ones...um...had a snafu. As you can see, the 2 strawberry turnovers on the left burst and leaked. I think I added too much honey and had the strawberry pieces far too small. They still tasted nice so I'll share my recipe, just bare in mind I'm still perfecting the process...

INGREDIENTS
Strawberries
Honey
The already-prepared dough (see my turnover dough recipe)

Step 1: Take the dough out of the fridge and be ready with the strawberries. Grease the baking tray or cover it with tin foil if you prefer.

Step 2: Start preparing the individual turnover dough wraps by separating each section along the fold lines; they should be somewhat rectangular but failing that, have them round for rounded turnovers. Don't be afraid to roll each sheet into a ball and roll them out again, with help from flour and a rolling pin.

Step 3: Pre-heat the oven to roughly 200˚C, or gas mark 6 (I think).

Step 4: Chop up the strawberries, then place the pieces in the middle of the small dough sheets. Add small amounts of honey, but not the spreadable kind (see photo).

Step 5: Fold the dough sheets in half. Just to make sure they don't fall apart, I personally have the upper half fall short and fold over the lower part to seal in the filling. If you want to, you can sprinkle some sugar on top of them (icing sugar is my favourite).

Step 6: Place on baking tray and press fork along turnover edges (if you want). Put loaded baking tray into oven and leave to bake for 15-20 minutes (or maybe just half that time?). Once they take on a brown tinge they're ready to take out the oven and leave to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment