Wednesday 29 February 2012

Pasta...2 guesses what I had for dinner tonight

So, one of the most vegan-friendly, easiest to cook meals is your bog standard boil pasta then add sauce spaghettis. It's yummy and refreshing when you have it once in a while, but when you have it frequently - like I did when I was roaming between hostels in Australia - it gets rather boring.

Recently, I discovered that pasta is a good way of using up spare ingredients you have lying around. Don't have any further use for that garlic? Chop it up and stir it into the sauce. Add some chili too. Have broccoli that needs using up? Cut it into florets and boil with the pasta. I've discovered broccoli goes great with napolitana sauce. Chopped kohlrabi boiled with the pasta is also great. There's even other sauces to accompany pasta that include carrot as an ingredient.

There are also the obvious accompaniments like olives, mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, shrimps... ok I'm starting to wander away from the vegan-friendly motif. I will say though, that parsnip never seems to go well. It's always a bit too...sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment