Monday 2 April 2012

Last Blog

This is it, the final blog entry for this blog.

My 40 days as a pseudo-vegan ended yesterday when I was able to spread butter on my toast (admittedly cashew butter was rather yummy on the toast) for breakfast and I was able to eat roast pheasant with my parents. So time to look back at the time and consider the successes and failures.

I think the ultimate failure was that I was not a very strict vegan, partly because being a pure vegan anywhere is bloody difficult. It wasn't just that in the traditional meat-free European recipes cheese and butter were sometimes essential, but it's also that I love cakes, which always contain milk and eggs. And when I eat pancakes (which I should have cut off) whipped cream is always an accompaniment. And how can you enjoy being a vegan if you can't eat ice cream?

The other big failure was that this blog didn't exactly get tons of attention. The main problem, I believe, is that I don't really hang around the foodie crowd much, and this is the kind of thing they would be interested in more than anyone else.

BUT I did succeed in widening my own cooking palette and providing ideas for recipes to other people. My biggest success I can point to is my brother. He has to eat meat all the time (so he says) so meat is almost always featured in his cooking and pork pie is an essential feature in his lunches. Even he was intrigued by some of my recipes.

Also, did the diet make me feel any different? Not really. Although I did notice that with the absence of meat I started desiring more spicey foods, and more of my food was coloured red or brown. That was until my yearning for green food sprouted.

No comments:

Post a Comment